For businesses or people who take their website seriously and are looking for it to have an impact on their success, a content management system or CMS platform is highly recommended.
A good CMS will allow you to effectively monitor and manage the content which you have on your website giving you more control, ensuring a great user experience and helping with search engine optimization (SEO).
SEO is an important aspect of any website – after all, what's the point of having a website if no-one is going to find you? So, getting up near to the top of the search engine rankings is imperative. Luckily, by choosing the right CMS, the platform that you use can help you with your website's SEO.
The world of SEO is ever changing as search engines continuously change their algorithms to provide the best results for their `searchers` so it is important that an CMS platform is flexible and adaptable.
There are many CMS platforms for businesses to choose from, so how can you pick the most SEO friendly?
SEO Friendly CMS Platform
When it comes to choosing a CMS platform there are a lot of factors to take into account – ease of use, pricing and security, for example. However, finding an SEO friendly CMS platform is also very important. For effective SEO, there are a number of features which are useful to have available to you. These include:
- Content – You need control over the content which is on your website to ensure that it is SEO friendly. This includes the use of keywords, creating the right content as well – all the text that visitors see – as well as the 'hidden' text which they don`t.
- Text – You need control over meta keywords, meta descriptions and title tags which can help your SEO and effect how people can find you.
- Navigation Text – The site should be able to include main-navigation and sub-navigation in HTML, as well as a sitemap to help the search engines index your site – and help you to be found by `searchers` for the right reasons.
- On-Page Text – You need to be able to control the on-page text that you are publishing to be able to include tags such as Image ALT tags and Link Title Tags. You also need your CMS platform to e able to build breadcrumbs automatically and create friendly URLS for a better customer experience – vital for good SEO.
- Integration with Social Media – Search engines are increasingly using signs from social media in their search algorithms. If you are using social media well, engaging with your customers and sharing information across different social medias, you are more likely to be placed near the top of the search results.
- Other Technical Factors – It is also important to be able to work with other technical features such as duplicate content control, site searches, page speed, rich schematic data, compression and XML sitemaps for a good SEO friendly CMS. You should also look for broken links checker tools and 301 redirecting, copyright and W3C compliance.
- Responsive Design – As more people use mobile devices to access the internet it is important for SEO and the user experience that your site is easy to use on these apparatuses. You can do this by making your site responsive.
- Analytics – Another key factor is that the CMS needs to be able to give you the analytic data to be able to work out what does and doesn’t work on your website, giving you the tools to improve it.
Choosing an SEO friendly CMS can be a little daunting, but by looking out for these key features and seeing how they fit in with your website, you can begin to build a really great website which is valuable to both you as a business and SEO friendly.