For many business owners, running their business doesn't just involve the product or skill that they are selling, there is much more to it than that. A florist doesn't only work with flowers, they also have to be an accountant, administrator and marketer. And that`s before we even get to the website. Setting up and maintaining a website is not only vital to the success of a business, it is also a bit of a minefield if you`re not technologically minded.
When to hire an SEO Professional
Many people don`t have either the time, the technical know-how, or the patience to make sure that their website is SEO friendly, and, frankly, there is no point in having a website if it`s not going to be found by anyone. Likewise, appearing near to the top of the search results online can boost your business and help you to grow beyond recognition. So SEO is something that businesses really cannot ignore.
Hiring an SEO Firm
A great option for businesses is to find someone to hire for SEO. This person or firm can first analyze your website, then make improvements to it and maintain it so that you can get up near to the top of the ever-important search results, and stay there.
So what should you be thinking about before hiring for SEO?
- List of clients and references – The first thing that you should do is ask potential firms for a list of their current and past clients, and references. Follow these up and contact their list to get a good idea of how satisfied these people are (were) with the service that they received.
- Contact more than one agency – It is important to shop around and speak to more than one SEO agency. Even if you have had good recommendations of someone, get an idea of the market and compare prices of at least one or two others.
- Don`t go with the cheapest – Decent SEO can at least double your sales and profits, so it is worth spending a bit of money on a good quality SEO firm. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for with SEO so the less you spend the poorer the quality.
- Ask how they will improve your rankings – Ask them about their methods and tools. How they are going to achieve results for you. Ask them if they will get you to number 1 in the search results – and if they guarantee that they will, you know that they aren`t telling the truth – no-one can guarantee that! Ask them for strategies and make sure that they include an initial analysis, then details about content optimization, URLs, links, headlines and tags.
- Ask what they know about search engines webmaster guidelines – It is essential that they adhere to these guidelines otherwise you might find that your website suffers penalties and even bans. This could ruin the future of your business.
- Results and reporting – Check how they intend to report the results to you in a way that you can understand. SEO is generally a long process so you might not see the results straight away, so check how they intend to communicate with you and how often.
The SEO of your website is central to the success of your business, so it is important that it is in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. Buy following the guidelines above you will be well on your way to choosing the right person.