There are many reasons why people chose Shopify to run their ecommerce stores, but one of the fundamental reasons is that it is great when it comes to SEO.
SEO is vital for any type of online business success. It stands for Search Engine Optimisation, and is the process of getting free and organic traffic off search results on search engines. The primary search engines are Google, Bing, and Yahoo, and they rank web pages based on what they think will be most relevant to the users search. The higher up the rankings that you are, the more likely that someone will click through to your web page.
Shopify provides many methods and tools that can help a business to improve its SEO, therefore increasing its chances of being ranked highly. A lot of the SEO on the platform is either handled automatically or with just a little influence from you, however, there are always ways in which this can be improved.
If you are using a Shopify store, there are three different types of SEO that you should be keeping an eye on. There is technical optimization which deals elements such as metadata and URL structure, and then there are factors on the page itself such as content optimization and content marketing. Let’s take a look at some of the various things you can do to improve this SEO even further.
- Submit a sitemap to Google: A sitemap is what the name suggests, it is a list of literally all the pages on your site. By submitting this list to Google, you are making sure that the search engine knows about every page on your site from the beginning, plus it gives Google a place to check for updates quickly. Shopify will create this for you automatically, so you don’t have to do all the work, all you have to do is deliver it to Google using its webmaster tools.
- Use a technical plugin: Shopify handles many of the technical SEO problems, but it is worth installing a technical plugin to help, as this way you can have more of a technical influence on your site. Plug in SEO is a good example of a relevant plugin, it can find technical errors for you, and then tell you how to fix them.
- Use a content plugin: This type of plugin helps you with the content aspects of your site such as providing keyword research, product optimization, and many other helpful tools. There is a variety of content plugins to choose from, but one of the most popular is ReloadSEO.
- Verify your theme: The design of your store is very important, it has to not only look good, but also offer easy navigation and reflect your brand. There are many themes to choose from when it comes to deciding how you want your site to look, but before you spend too much time and money on design, you should check the theme preview URL with a tool such as Web Page Test. This will let you know if the theme has been created to be SEO friendly or if it will hold you back.
- Optimize metadata on images: Shopify allows you to edit all the meta-descriptions for each of your images on the site. Metadata is very important when it comes to SEO, as it will allow Google to identify the content of the images. Many businesses seem to neglect product images, but they can play a huge part in successful SEO.
- Site speed - As surprising as it may see, the speed of your site can be the difference between a high or low ranked site regarding SEO. A speedy site will encourage people to spend more time on it and avoid people clicking away, all of which can improve SEO. As an ecommerce store, Shopify and other ecommerce stores tend to have a lot of content, code and script, making them load slower. Shopify provides plugins that allow you to compress images, which should improve your site’s speed.
- Use categories: By default, Shopify will automatically group your products into categories, so you don’t have to. Even if you don’t want to show those categories publicly, it can be a huge help.
- Specify shop meta title: By using Shopify, you can specify any meta information that you have for your home page, URL, and description. Your title should simply be the name of your store, so make sure that you customise it in the way that you want it to show up on search engine results.
There are many other ways that Shopify makes it easy for you to improve your site SEO, therefore bringing in a lot of organic traffic.