If you have more than one social media account, make sure you do this right now. Check that your business information is consistent on each social media account.
Are you making your customers confused?
You probably aren't aware that you are. So it's best to do an audit once a year. Things change in your business, sometimes you don't have time to address them immediately. Here are some typical problem areas:
- Company Name. Do you have a DBA (Doing Business As) company name? Are there multiple ways of spelling your business name? My Business Name, Inc. is different than My Business Name. It should be exactly the same everywhere.
- Phone Number. Do you have multiple phone numbers? Did you change your phone number recently? Do you have a toll free phone number that you sometimes use? Make sure you list the same number everywhere.
- Website URL. It should be exactly the same. www.mywebsite.com is different than mywebsite.com is different than http://mywebsite.com. Make sure you use the same website everywhere.
- Address. Did you change locations recently? If so, make sure your address is up-to-date and the same in every location.
- Company information. The year you were founded, the founders names, the types of products and services you offer, etc.
There are two primary reasons you need to do this:
- Google will de-rank you in their search results if they realize that your information is not consistent. If you could be showing up on page 1 why would risk showing up on page 2 or 3?
- It's a bad customer experience to show different information in different places. Your customers don't just use Instagram or just Twitter. Likely they interact with your brand in many different ways. And if your information is different, your customers will be confused. Are you open until 8pm like it says on your website? Or are you open until 7pm like it says on Yelp?
Free SEO Audit Tool
See how optimized a specific web page, landing page, or blog post is for an exact keyword or phrase